James Paterson, PRSW, RSA, RWS

James Paterson, P.R.S.W., R.S.A., R.W.S. (1854-1932) was a Scottish painter associated with The Glasgow Boys movement of artists and a founding member of the Society of Eight. He is best known for his landscape paintings of the Scottish countryside, in particular Dumfriesshire where he lived at Moniaive from 1885 to 1905.

 

Paterson studied at the Glasgow School of Art under Robert Greenlees. From 1877 he studied in Paris under Louis Jacquesson de La Chevreuse (1839-1903) and Jean-Paul Laurens (1838-1921). He was elected to the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour in 1885, became an associate member of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1896, and was awarded full membership of the Royal Scottish Academy in 1910. He became President of the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolours in 1922 and served as Librarian of the Royal Scottish Academy between 1910 and 1924, and Secretary from 1924 until a few weeks before his death in January 1932.

 

Paintings by Paterson are held in several public collections, including the National Galleries of Scotland, the Hunterian Art Gallery, and Yale Center for British Art.