The original painting that this is engraved from is in the Royal Collection, purchased by Prince Albert, consort to Queen Victoria. According to the Royal Academy catalogue, is set on the pass in the Black Mountains, Glenorchy Forest, and a more recent source, G.K. Whitehead in 'The Deer Stalking Grounds of Great Britain and Ireland', pinpoints the scene to the high pass between the corries (hollows on the mountain side) of Altchaorum and Larig Dochard. When the deer were driven here the pass could be covered by two rifles. Whitehead also states that the hounds that are portrayed in the painting were the two best ever owned by Lord Breadalbane and that the painting records a specific occasion when Landseer went stalking on Black Mount. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert stayed with Lord Breadalbane at Taymouth Castle in 1842. In 1873, when the commemorative exhibition of Landseer’s work was being organised at the Royal Academy, the painting was described as ‘the picture which would do the greatest honour to poor Sir Edwin’. The original painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1847.