HMS Revenge was the nameship of the ‘Revenge’ class of five battleships ordered for the fleet in 1913 and laid down in December the same year. Built by Vickers, Revenge was launched on 29th May 1915 and completed for sea in March 1916. Measuring 580 feet in length with an 88 foot beam, she displaced 28,000 tons and her main armament consisted of 8-15in. guns complemented by 4-21in. submerged torpedo tubes. With her oil-fired boilers producing 40,000 S.H.P., she could make 23 knots at full speed and, with her identical sisters, proved a powerful addition to the Grand Fleet when they entered service.
Assigned to the 1st Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet upon completion, she was in action at the Battle of Jutland (31st May – 1st June 1916) as flagship to Vice-Admiral Burney, and later the same year became flagship to Admiral Madden, Second-in-Command of the Grand Fleet. In the post-war era, she was initially sent to the Eastern Mediterranean (in 1920) and thereafter served in the Atlantic and Home Fleets. Employed on North Atlantic convoy duties after the outbreak of War in 1939, she transferred to the Eastern Fleet in 1942 and provided the escort for a major Suez-Australia convoy in February 1943. Returning to the UK that September, she remained in Home Waters for the remainder of the War and was finally sold for scrapping in March 1949.