Carved out of the mountain on the banks of the Nile between 1274-1244 BC, the Great Temple at Abu Simbel was dedicated as much to Ramesses II himself as to the three Egyptian deities that it was supposed to be built in honour of. The four colossal statues at the front of the temple are of Ramesses, and would have signalled to visitors the overwhelming power of the Pharaoh. Lost to the sands of time, the Temple was rediscovered in 1813 by Jean-Louis Burckhardt and gradually cleared away. The smaller statues depict the Pharaoh's mother Queen Tuya, and his wife Nefertari as well as some favourite children. This painting can be dated to between 1888 and 1917 due to the amount of sand cleared away, and the partial covering of the far right colossal statue.